There are lots of beautiful sights to discover in Worms: the Romanesque Cathedral, Europe’s oldest Jewish cemetery, the synagogue in the old town, the world’s biggest Reformation monument (Luther Monument), the multimedia Nibelungen Museum, wonderful green spaces with gently splashing fountains, the Hagen statue on the Rhine promenade, Herrnsheim Palace and Park and much more. Enjoy your voyage of discovery through our beautiful city!
Romanesque pillar basilica with a double choir and a transept, built 1125/1130 – 1181 on the foundations of a structure erected by Bishop Burchard (1000 – 1025). Elaborate decorations in the east and west choirs. The “Emperor’s portal” on the north side is the setting of the “quarrel of the queens” in the Nibelungenlied epic. Gothic south portal (pre-13th century) with representational designs displaying an “illustrated stone Bible” ; Gothic St Nicholas chapel adjoining. The cathedral’s interior features Romanesque and late-Gothic stone sculptures. After the city’s devastation in 1689, the east choir was given a baroque design (high altar by Balthasar Neumann). Burial vault with sarcophagi of five generations of Salian dukes (10th – 11th centuries). St John’s baptistery in front of the south front demolished in 1807.
Open for sight-seeing:
in summer 9 am – 6 pm,
in winter 10 am – 5 pm.
Former Carolingian one-room church (8th / 9th century), extended later. Parish church of the former St Andrew’s chapter. Early Protestant preaching church and hotbed of the Reformation in Worms around 1521.
Romanesque church and cloister (12th / 13th), Gothic extensions and more recent alterations. Former collegiate church. The City of Worms Museum illuminating the city’s pre- and early history, the Roman, Franconian, Mediaeval and modern eras. Luther room. A must-see model of the city.
closed for renovations, reopening in April 2021.
Historic vineyard site by the city wall running along Andreasstrasse / Willy-Brandt-Ring. Emperor Frederick II had his son, the German king Henry VII, incarcerated here in 1235 in the “Luginsland” (“view of the country”) tower.
Europe’s oldest extant Jewish cemetery with some 2,500 gravestones (oldest tombstone from 1058 / 1059). Impressive view of the cathedral from the younger part on the former outer city ramparts (“Buber view”).
Before its destruction in 1689, the bishop’s palace was the scene of the momentous confrontation between Emperor Charles V and Martin Luther on 17 / 18 April 1521. A plaque marks the former location of the palace. The multi-winged palace structure with its stairway, which was the place of the city’s legal proceedings, was replaced in the 18th century by a baroque palace, which in turn was destroyed in 1794.
One of the world’s largest Reformation memorial, completed in 1868 and based on a design by Ernst Rietschel. Statues and emblems illustrate Reformation history, with Martin Luther and the Diet of Worms in the centre.
Double-sided, rotating bronze wheel created in 1986 by Gustav Nonnenmacher. One side shows events that impacted on the city, the other depicts scenes from everyday local life.
Created in 1983 by Gustav Nonnenmacher. Centre of the Kämmererstrasse pedestrian area. Wine-related historic scenes and allegories pay tribute to Worms’ significance as a winegrowing city.
Memorial with obelisk and a fountain flanked by lions recalling Ludwig IV, Grand Duke of Hesse. Originally set in a small park.
Three-aisled Romanesque pillar basilica (11th – 13th) with a straight-ended choir. Former collegiate church. According to the legend, St Martin of Tours was incarcerated in a dungeon beneath the church.
Built in 1904 to designs by Georg Metzler, inspired by the forms of the city’s former northern city gate (destroyed in 1689).
Worms, Varmayza in Hebrew, had a prosperous Jewish community from the 11th century on. Beautifully restored buildings in the former Jewish Quarter around Judengasse (Jews’ Alley). Romanesque synagogue (first building from 1034, rebuilt in 1174 / 1175, destroyed in 1938 / 1941, reconstruction completed in 1961) with women’s synagogue and ritual bath (mikvah, 1185 / 1186, closed for renovations).
Apr – Oct 10 am – 12.30 pm, 1.30 pm – 5 pm ,
Nov – Mar 10 am – 12 am, 2 pm – 4 pm.
Supposed former site of the Jewish school, where the famous Jewish scholar Rashi studied around 1060. Part of the ground floor preserved from the Middle Ages. The present building (completed in 1982) is modelled on the former structure and houses the Jewish museum and the municipal archive.
Remains of the impressive ramparts of the former bastion (17th century ?). The bastion provided one of the main accesses to the mediaeval city.
Church of the Reformist community, built in 1744. The Red House, the only extant bourgeois Renaissance structure, built in 1624, today houses a Protestant community centre.
Built in 1016 by Bishop Burchard on the foundations of the Salian ducal castle as a three-aisled pillar basilica (11th – 13th century). Romanesque choir and western building with octagonal dome (13th century). Nave remodelled as a baroque hall after the city’s devastation in 1689. The towers’ tops are inspired by Oriental architecture (“pagan towers”). Portal with a replica of the Bernward Doors of St Mary’s Cathedral in Hildesheim. Former collegiate church. Today the chapter buildings and the cloister house a Dominican monastery. Church of the Reformist community, built in 1744. The Red House, the only extant bourgeois Renaissance structure, built in 1624, today houses a Protestant community centre.
Multimedia museum about the mediaeval epic, attached to the mediaeval city wall, opened in 2001 as a “walkable audio book” on the Nibelungenlied. Underground “Myth lab” with multimedia information hub on sagas and myths of the world.
Gate tower square with “Siegfried’s tomb”, a mound flanked by two sandstone menhirs.
Preserved wall of a grand residential house (early 13th).
The City Hall (1958) was the site of the grammar school after the city’s destruction in 1689. The late-mediaeval town hall (“civic court”) was situated in today’s Hagenstrasse. Fountain of Justice, originally erected at the site of today’s Siegfried fountain in 1778 as a watering place.
Built by the magistrate in the form of a baroque hall (1709–1725) as a Lutheran and Reformation memorial church. After its destruction in the Second World War, reconstruction (1955 – 1958) to plans by Otto Bartning, who also designed the interior in the contemporary style.
Heptagonal fountain (1921) with larger than life-sized statue of Siegfried the dragon-slayer, based on designs by Adolf von Hildebrand. Gift of Cornelius Wilhelm von Heyl, a former local leather magnate.
Stately and prestigious bourgeois residence (1725). Birthplace of the composer Rudi Stephan (1887 – 1915).
Park laid out in the 1920s. A pleasure ground worth visiting with shipping piers and a variety of cafés and restaurants. The Hagen statue, created by Johannes Hirt in 1905, recalls the Nibelungenlied warrior Hagen sinking the treasure of the Nibelungen in the river.
Begun in 900, with major parts still extant, the city wall backs against the museum of the city next to the wall opening at St Andrew’s Gate (Andreastor, 1907), towers the city moat behind the cathedral’s west choir on the foundations of the former Roman wall, and marks the north side of the Jewish Quarter with an opening in the wall (1907) at Rashi Gate. Gate Tower Square offers the most impressive view of its obverse towards the east, with the major and lesser Rhine Gates, the Civic Tower, the Fishermen’s Gateway, and the Gate Tower.
Late-Gothic pilgrimage church (13th – 15th centuries), set in the renowned vineyard “Liebfrauenstift – Kirchenstück”. Only extant major church on the Rhine between the famous Strasbourg and Cologne cathedrals that is built in a purely Gothic style.
Approximately 4 km north of the city centre, Herrnsheim is a baroque palace with English-style gardens built by Wolfgang E. von Dalberg (1711–1740) and his son Heribert (1740–1792) on the site of a 15th-century castle. Partially destroyed during the French Revolution, it was rebuilt in the years leading up to 1824. The current imperial style dates from work carried out between 1840 and 1845. Worms industrialist Cornelius W. Heyl bought the palace in 1883 and in 1957/58 the Barons von Heyl sold it to the City of Worms. The mediaeval round tower houses a library, French picture wallpaper on the first floor, and original ceiling and wall paintings on the ground floor. There are also outbuildings from the second half of the 18th century, landscaped gardens with meadows, woodland, ponds and islands.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact the Tourist Information.