on the Jewish
cemetery in Worms-Hochheim
Cemetery with hall of
mourning and separate entrance
A hall of mourning on the Jewish part of the new city cemetery was consecrated in 1911. It was built in the Art Nouveau style according to plans drawn up by the city architect and Georg Metzler. This Jewish cemetery is adjacent to what is the main cemetery in Worms today, which is in Worms-Hochheim (also known locally as the “Hochheimer Höh”). The Jewish cemetery has its own separate entrance in Eckenbertstraße.
Beginning in 1987,
the hall of mourning underwent extensive renovation inside and outside in
several stages, and it was newly consecrated in 2005, which was “Rashi Year”.
Mourning ceremonies now take place here again. The hall of mourning is an
outstanding monument to Jewish cultural life.